This barrow trading in Bain Street is a reminder of the very Genesis of the Barras, which was established by James and Maggie McIver in 1921. They hired out barrows to market traders from their yard at Marshall Street, which back then was opposite Morrisons on Gallowgate, but has now disappeared. The McIvers bought land around Kent Street and Moncur Street, hiring barrows to traders and charging a fee for the pitch. However, traders were not the only users of barrows at that time, with ragmen, briquette sellers and families doing a flitting were all potential customers. The humble barrow was also incorporated into the sign above Maggie's new Barrowland Ballroom in 1934. A briquette was coal dust mixed with water and heated in an oven to become a brick, which was then used to kindle a fire.